To vote in Orange County, you must be:
- A U.S. Citizen
- A Resident of North Carolina and this county for 30 days before the election
- At least 18 years of age on or before the next general election
- Not registered and not voting in any other county or state
- If convicted of a felony, your rights of citizenship have been restored
- If you move out of your precinct, but remain within Orange County, you should notify the board office in writing of your new address.
Anyone at least 16 years of age may pre-register to vote. Once submitted to the Board of Elections, these registrations will be processed and held until the registrant is qualified by age to register and vote. The registrant will then receive their voter verification card through the mail.
Registration application forms must be either postmarked or received by the Board of Elections no later than 25 days before the election in which you wish to vote.
After a voter application/update has been processed, a voter verification card will be mailed to the voter indicating correct precinct and polling place location.
If you wish to change your party affiliation, you must complete either a Voter Registration Application Form (PDF) or complete the reverse side of a Voter Verification Card that has been mailed to you, and return it to the Board of Elections. All changes must be either postmarked or received in the Board of Elections office at least 25 days before the election.
In addition to this website, Registration Applications may be obtained at the following locations:
- Board of Elections Office - 208 South Cameron Street, Hillsborough
- Carrboro Cybrary, Century Center - 100 North Greensboro Street, Carrboro
- Carrboro Town Hall - 301 West Main Street Carrboro
- Chapel Hill Public Library - 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hilll
- Chapel Hill Town Hall - 405 Martin Luther King Junior, Boulevard, Chapel Hill
- Davis Library, UNC-CH Campus
- McDougle Middle School Library - 900 Old Fayetteville Road, Chapel Hill
- Orange County Public Library - 137 West Margaret Lane, Hillsborough
Persons having business with the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may register to vote at the DMV.
Mail Forms to:
Orange County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 220
Hillsborough, NC 27278