Fines & Fees
How to Pay a Fine
You may pay your fines online using a credit card or in person using cash or a check.
Online: Sign in to your online account.
- We use PayPal's PayFlow Pro secure gateway service to process our online payments. We do not store any credit card information in your customer account.
- If your debit card also functions as a credit card, you may use it to make an online payment.
- Mobile catalog users must use the full catalog, rather than the mobile catalog, to pay fines online.
|Material Type||Fine per Day||Maximum Fine per Item|
Adult books, CDs, magazines, and audiobooks
Children's books, CDs, magazines, and audiobooks
Literacy bags, Kindles, WiFi to Go, and Book Club Kits
Young Adult books, CDs, and magazines
Fees for Lost & Damaged Materials
Customers must pay for any materials lost or damaged beyond use. The replacement cost is the item’s list price plus a $5 service charge. If an item is out of print or a price is unavailable, a default replacement cost will be used. It is based on average costs of materials.
Library Card Fees
Alamance, Caswell, Chatham, Durham, or Person County residents
Orange County residents
|Employees with Orange County Government, Town of Hillsborough, Town of Carrboro, UNC-Health Care, Durham Tech, Orange County Schools, Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools.||Free|
Other out-of-county residents
|Task or Request||Amount|
$0.15/page for black and white
We Hate Fines
So we offer many ways to help you decrease or get rid of them.
- Fines are capped at $5/item.
- We have payment plans.
- We collect food and toys for fines in November and December.
- You may read down your fines in April and May.
- We provide fine-free accounts to all students and staff in both school systems and certain independent schools.
Find out more by calling the Main Library in Hillsborough at 919.245.2525 or the Cybrary in Carrboro at 919.918.7387.