Employment Services for Older Adults
Job seekers, right now, there are part-time and full-time jobs available. Large retailers and delivery companies – Amazon, CostCo, WalMart, and several grocery and pharmacy chains are hiring people for warehouse, stocking, cashier and delivery positions. In addition, jobs working remotely from home are also available, and increasing significantly. Many businesses and organizations are hiring. A list of companies currently hiring for remote jobs is available on the under the Resources for Mature Job Seekers tab below.
If you are interested in applying for any of these jobs, you need to be sure your resume and cover letter are current, strong and compelling. You will want to be confident and knowledgeable about interviewing -- how best to answer questions, and what questions you should ask. If you want help, please email our employment specialist, Mike Komives or call/text (919) 616-8778.
Employment and self improvement opportunities:
Mark your calendar for Being Better Than Before, a FREE Webinar series created especially for people 55+ years of age or more, featuring presentations and interactive discussions led by experts in Creativity, Starting Your Own Business, and Job and Career Search. Mark these dates: January 27, 29 and February 3 and 5, 2021. Additional details and registration information forthcoming.
In person meetings and classes have been SUSPENDED due to COVID-19
For help by phone or email, please contact Mike Komives or cal/text 919-616-8778
Resources for Mature Job Seekers
- Mature Job Seekers Resource Guide:
OCDOA Mature Job Seekers Resource Guide (PDF)
- List of companies with "remote" jobs:
Working from Home List
- Listing of jobs currently available (PDF) updated 7/6/2020
- Suggestions for describing both Ideal vs Acceptable Jobs and why this is practical right now (PDF)
- Tips for making sure you well prepared to use VIRTUAL programs such as Zoom, GoToMeeting and others (PDF)
Develop Your 2021 Job Search Action Plan Now
To search for a job, here are three things you should do right now.
- Define the kind of work you want to do. What are you qualified to do? What are you really good at? And because your ideal job might not be available right away, you also need to confirm the kind of work you will and can do in the meantime. See more about Ideal and Acceptable Jobs.
- Get started with Networking. All of us are challenged by the pandemic and the economy. Because over 50% of all jobs are not posted, you need to know how you learn about them. One really good way is through networking. This can be done by everyone, even if you are introverted and shy. For more information, see Networking Thoughts and Contact List.
- Guiding Your Networking Contacts can be done quite easily. We’ve developed Networking Briefs for you to make and use. It’s one-page with three essential parts – your name and contact information, a summary of you, and a section called “Here’s how you can help” that makes it easy for anyone to help you. See Networking Brief Thoughts and two examples here: (Example One and Example Two).
To see all of the Department on Aging’s new and modified programs, visit our COVID-19 Resources for Seniors page.
Orange County Employer Questionnaire
Orange County Department on Aging (OCDOA) helps Orange County residents 55+ years of age meet their social, mental, physical, financial, and day-to-day practical needs. These include people searching for full- or part-time jobs, wanting to start their own business, or volunteer.
Our Employment Specialist is at the Seymour Center on Mondays and Fridays, and the Passmore Center on Wednesday mornings, meeting with people individually and conducting workshops. Many of these job seekers want to work in Orange County.
Here’s how you can help us. We’re developing a list of Orange County employers who hire people 55+ years of age or older. We would appreciate your taking a few minutes to complete a brief online EMPLOYER QUESTIONNAIRE.
Please know that our knowledge and information might be of interest to you. Should you want or need to hire people for your business, we will refer qualified individuals to you – AT NO COST to you.
Mature job seekers, for questions, information, or help with your job search or starting your own business contact Mike Komives, Employment Specialist, by phone/text at 919-616-8778 or email email@example.com