Ready for K
How to Apply to Camp:
1) Download application to computer or mobile device. Fill out form and email to address listed. Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed.
2) Print application and return to drop off location listed on application. Printed copies are also available at the drop off location.
Download the 2019 Ready for K Summer Camp Application:
- Ready for K Summer Camp Application – Zone 4 (English)
- Ready for K Summer Camp Application – Zone 4 (Spanish)
- Ready for K Summer Camp Application – Zone 6 (English)
- Ready for K Summer Camp Application – Zone 6 (Spanish)
Now in its forth year, FSA’s Ready for K summer Camp has served more than 250 students and has deepened partnerships to expand programming and evaluate the intervention. Key partners included the two school districts, Orange County Schools and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (who hosted the summer camps), the county parks and recreation department, a local arts center (who provide STEAM-focused afternoon enrichment), and University of North Carolina’s Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute (who assist with quality improvement efforts). The 2-year partnership with UNC has enabled a rigorous evaluation of the summer program that included pre-/post-assessments of students, teacher surveys, classroom observations, and tracking of a comparison cohort throughout the school year.
UNC’s evaluation demonstrated that math, literacy, and classroom skills significantly improved for the children who entered kindergarten, first grade, and second grade this fall. Language skills also improved for rising kindergartners. The evaluation highlights the positive effect on attention and basic literacy skills for all children in English, as well as on language and literacy skills in Spanish. Children who made the largest gains entered the program with lowest skill levels, suggesting it is most successful for the students who need it most. UNC also found that these gains were not lost during the ensuing school year. Of practical significance for students and schools, the proportion of students at or above state benchmarks for their grade roughly doubled from the beginning to the end of the summer camp.
We are already planning next summer’s 2019 Ready for K summer camp, and are looking forward to seeing even more academic gains for students in our two zones! Zone maps are available here.
The Ready for K Summer Camp Helps Children Start Off Strong in School!
Children with early education experience are more likely to do better in school. The Ready for K Summer Camp prepares children for the first day of kindergarten! This summer, FSA completed its third summer of Ready for K Summer Camp, and we are already looking forward to next summer!
This is a free, all-day program for children who will be attending kindergarten in the Fall of 2019. The Summer 2019 program details and information about how to apply will be posted in the Spring of 2019. Transportation, breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack are provided.
Ready for K is a collaboration between The Family Success Alliance, Orange County Schools, Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, The Department of Environment, Agriculture, Parks & Recreation and The ArtsCenter.
Over the Summer, Children Will…
- improve their social, emotional, and academic skills needed to succeed in kindergarten.
- develop a love of learning in a classroom setting.
- practice the routines and procedures of a typical school day in kindergarten.
The Ready for K Summer Camp is in place to “set students up to love learning.That’s ultimately our goal—to develop lifelong learners who feel successful and can be successful.”— Ambra Wilson, Principal & Site Coordinator, New Hope Elementary School
“The Ready For K summer camp is a great opportunity to help students feel excited about their upcoming academic journey. We focus on building a strong academic, social and emotional foundation for our young learners. We want students to leave camp feeling empowered to start school in the Fall.” — Amanda Castor, Teacher & Camp Site Coordinator, Carrboro Elementary
What Do Parents Say They Like Most About K Ready Summer Camp?
- Eases our concerns about Fall entry into kindergarten
- “My son’s English improved. He’s less timid.”
- A fully functioning school operating in the summer
- Family lives in Zone 4 or Zone 6 and/or plans to send child to New Hope, Northside, Carrboro, or Frank Porter Graham Elementary School for kindergarten. Zone maps are available here.
- Family meets income guidelines: under Federal Poverty Guidelines, receives SSI or TANF, is homeless, or the child is in foster care.
- Provide proof of income at parent orientation prior to the start of the program.