Many community organizations are organizing events or fundraisers to benefit the community. Please check the list below for opportunities.
Interested in helping with Orange County NC’s response to COVID-19? Fill out this form and we’ll contact you as we need volunteers. Please do not contact Orange County agencies directly to volunteer, as they are busy responding to emergent calls.
- Community Behavioral Health Crisis Resources During COVID-19 Conditions (PDF)
- List of community resources (PDF)
Orange County Government
- Effective Monday, March 30, Orange County Aging will distribute meals three times per week to seniors, but clients will receive five meals weekly. Staff will distribute a hot meal and a box lunch on Mondays and Wednesdays and a hot meal on Fridays. We are moving to this format to reduce the number of times our seniors are coming out into the community.
- Orange County DSS is collecting non-perishable food items at both locations to support those in the community impacted by COVID-19. Need has increased with kids being out of school and families losing income as businesses close or reduce hours. The county is also accepting cash donations and gift cards.
- TableNC wish list for food donations to support more than 700 families.
- IFC Supportive Housing programs need assistance to purchase sanitizer, wipes, spray cleaning supplies etc. for their households. Link for donations.
- To donate to Orange Congregations in Mission, which provides food to low-resource families in rural Orange County.
- Meals on Wheels Chapel Hill-Carrboro will continue delivering meals to seniors once a week, providing meals to cover five days of the week. Cash donations are needed. You can mail check or money order to: Chapel Hill-Carrboro Meals on Wheels, PO Box 2102, Chapel Hill NC 27515. Or donate online.
Restaurants offering carryout or drive-thru service
All restaurant dining rooms in the state closed at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17, after an order from Governor Cooper. The Orange County-Chapel Hill Visitor’s Bureau has compiled a list (PDF) of restaurants offering either take-out or drive-thru service and open Farmers’ Markets in Orange County
Small Business Administration
Small business owners in North Carolina are eligible to apply for a low-interest loan due to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Click here to apply.Find more information on the SBA’s Economic Injury Disaster Loans at: SBA.gov/Disaster.
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (COVID-19 Updates)
- Orange County Schools (COVID-19 Updates
Town of Hillsborough Water Assistance Program
The Water Assistance Program offers assistance with paying Hillsborough water and sewer bills and is funded entirely through donations from utility customers. The program is administered through a partnership with Orange Congregations in Mission, a local nonprofit organization. During this time, two easy ways to make a one-time donation are:
- Online — use the online form.
- By phone — call 919-296-9450 to pay with a credit or debit card.
For more information on the program, see the Water Assistance Program page.
Orange County Courts
The Courts are rescheduling all District and Superior Court cases for 30 days. First appearances, bond motions and other critical matters will continue to be heard. New court dates will be sent by mail. Questions regarding new court dates should be addressed to the Office of Clerk of Superior Court. The number is 919-644-4500.
Community news organizations
Cancelled/postponed meetings or events
- March 21 – Composting 101 Workshop – Postponed until later date
- March 24 – County Government Academy – Postponed until later date
- March 25 – DSS Job Fair – Postponed until later date
- March 26 – Low-cost rabies clinic at Farmer’s Market (Hillsborough) – Canceled
- April 4 – Community Egg Hunt – Postponed
- April 25 – Confidential paper Shred-A-Thons – Postponed
- May 2 – Confidential paper Shred-A-Thons – Postponed
- June 6 – Local Roots Festival (Blackwood Farm Park) – Canceled
Town of Chapel Hill
- All public meetings, mass gatherings and special events are canceled until further notice. (link to town calendar)
Town of Hillsborough
- March 23 - State of the Town address (virtual meeting only)
University of North Carolina
- All events of 50 or more people on UNC-Chapel Hill’s campus have been canceled until further notice.
- The NCAA has canceled all remaining winter and spring sports.
- All remaining ticketed performances and free public events in the Carolina Performing Arts 2019/20 season are cancelled.
- Public programs and tours at the North Carolina Botanical Garden have been suspended until March 27.
- Visitors Center is closed.
- April 18 - Tar Heel 10 Miler