Orange County Fire Marshal Division conducts inspections and issues mandatory and operational permits in all unincorporated areas of Orange County. If you are located within a municipal area, please refer to the list below for other Fire Prevention Offices.
Permits can be obtained by applying online through our Permitting Information Portal (Coming Soon) or by submitting an application through the Fire Marshal Division; see the Applications and Fees page
Mandatory Construction and Operational Permits:
- Amusement Buildings
- Automatic Fire-Extinguishing System
- Battery Systems - Stationary Storage Battery Systems Having a Liquid Capacity of More Than 50 Gallons
- Carnivals and Fairs
- Combustible Dust-Producing Operations
- Compressed Gases – Where Compressed Gases in Use or Storage Exceed the Amounts Listed in Table 105.6.9 of the N.C. Fire Prevention Code (including Carbon Dioxide for Beverage Dispensing Systems)
- Covered and Open Mall Buildings
- Cryogenic Fluids – an Outdoor Stationary Cryogenic Fluid Storage System Where the System Capacity Exceeds the Amounts Listed in Table 105.6.11 in the N.C. Fire Code
- Emergency Responder Radio Coverage
- Exhibits and Trade Shows
- Fire Alarm/Detection Systems and Related Equipment
- Fire Pumps and Related Equipment
- Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- Fumigation and Insecticidal Fogging
- Gates and Barricades for Fire Access Roads
- Hazardous Materials - Use or Storage Exceed the amounts listed in Table 105.6.21 in the N.C. Fire Prevention Code
- Industrial Ovens
- Liquid or Gas-Fueled Vehicles or Equipment in Assembly Buildings
- LP-Gas – May be Required or Approved by the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services http://www.ncagr.gov
- Private Fire Hydrants
- Pyrotechnic Special Effects Materials
- Smoke Control/Smoke Exhaust Systems
- Solar Photovoltaic Power Systems
- Spraying or Dipping – To Install/Modify a Spray Room, Dip Tank or Booth (This is a Separate Permit from the Fire Extinguishing System for the Spray Room, Dip Tank or Booth)
- Standpipe Systems
- Temporary Membrane Structures and Tents – Having an Area in Excess of 800 Sq. Ft. or 1800 Sq. Ft. if Opened on all Sides
There is a fee for failing to obtain the proper permit.
The Fire Marshal Division works closely with Planning/Zoning, Building Inspections and other departments in Orange County to perform various inspections, review construction plans and specifications, and for the issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy.
|Department Webpage||Phone Number|
|Building Permits and Inspectors||919-856-6222|
|Land Records and GIS Services||919-856-7400|
Foster Care Homes:
Call the inspection request line at 919-245-6100 for inspections within the unincorporated areas of Orange County.
*If you are located within a municipality (Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough), please refer to the list below for other Fire Marshal Offices.
Other Fire Marshal Offices in Orange County: