The Register of Deeds office is the official steward of death records for Orange County. The Orange County Register of Deeds office can only provide death certificates for persons who died in Orange County.
Requesting a Death Certificate
Authorized Personnel for Request
Death Certificates can be obtained in person at the Register of Deeds office or by mail. In accordance with N.C.G.S. 130A-93, the following people may obtain a certified copy of a death certificate:
- Attorney or legal agent
- The deceased's spouse
- Grandparents / grandchildren
- Great-grandparents / great-grandchildren
- Stepparents / stepchildren
- Print and complete the Vital Records Request Form (PDF) (or complete the form at the Register of Deeds office):
The Register of Deeds Office is located at:
Gateway Center Building
228 S Churton Street
Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Bring a valid photo identification (Driver’s License, State issued identification card, or Passport).
- Certified copies are $10 each and uncertified copies are $0.15 each and can be paid by:
- Business check
- Certified bank check
- Debit/credit card
- Money order
- Money orders, certified bank checks, or business checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds.”
Mail In Requests
- Vital Records Request Form (PDF)
- Attach a copy of a valid photo ID (Driver’s License, State issued ID card, or Passport).
We require a self addressed stamped envelope for all mail in requests.
- Certified copies are $10 each and uncertified copies are 0.15¢ each ( money order, certified bank check, or business check only). Money orders, certified bank checks, or business checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds.”
Orange County Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Mail in requests are processed within 1 to 2 business days upon receipt.
Letter of Request
If you are unable to print the Vital Records Request Form (PDF), please mail a letter of request including the following information, along with a copy of a valid photo ID, and the fee.
- Letter of request must include:
- Date of death
- Full name of deceased
- Your relationship to the person whose certificate is being requested
- Your signature and telephone number
Amendments & Special Cases
Information and fees for Amendments of Death Certificates are available by calling 919-245-2700 or 919-245-2701.
Other Sources for Death Certificates
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services also has a vital records division, which can provide death certificates to qualified requestors.