Zoning and Subdivision Administration
- Review and analysis of all Major and Minor Subdivisions
- Review and analysis of requests for Variances and Special Use Permits
- Review of all commercial, industrial, and residential Site Plans to ensure compliance with applicable County, State, and Federal regulations
- Review of Telecommunication (Cell) Towers and Facilities
- Advocate for Green Building Design
- Development of Small Area Plans
- Coordination of infrastructure improvements (water/sewer provision, landscaping, proposed street patterns, open space networks, utility provision) during the development process
- Regulation of Signs, Outdoor Lighting, and Landscaping Requirements
- Regulation of Childcare and Education Facilities
- Processing of all Zoning Atlas Amendments
- Writing text amendments and making recommendations concerning petitioner-filed text amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance
- Enforcement of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO)
- Enforcement of State and Local Watershed Regulations
- Providing staff support to the Planning Board, Board of Adjustment, and Board of County Commissioners
- Making public presentations and recommendations regarding regulatory issues and proposed developments
- Day Care Home Application
- Floodplain Elevation Certificate Form
- Home Occupation Application
- Major Subdivision Concept Plan Approval Application
- Major Subdivision Preliminary Plan Approval Application
- Major Subdivision Final Plat
- Minor Subdivision Concept Plan Approval Application
- Minor Subdivision Final Plat Approval Application
- Site Plan Approval Application
- Special Use Permit Class A Application
- Special Use Permit Class B Application
- Surface Water Identification (SWID) Request Form
- Zoning Atlas Amendment Application
- Zoning Compliance Permits
Persons interested in subdividing their property should review Article 7, Subdivisions, of the Unified Development Ordinance. Applications for minor and major subdivisions can be found here.
Zoning Atlas Amendments
Persons interested in pursuing a rezoning in Orange County should review Section 2.8, Zoning Atlas and Unified Development Ordinance Amendments, of the Unified Development Ordinance. The application and Rezoning Request Checklist can be found here.
Commercial, Industrial, and Residential Site Plans
Persons interested in making improvements to their property that may require site plan approval should review Section 2.4 and Section 2.5 of the Unified Development Ordinance for additional information and to determine what site plan application process will be required. The Site Plan Application Checklist and Zoning Compliance Survey can be found here.
Persons interested in applying for a variance should review Section 2.10, Variances, of the Unified Development Ordinance. A application for a variance can be found here.
Special Use Permits
Persons interested in applying for a Class A or Class B Special Use Permit should review Section 2.7, Special Use Permits, of the Unified Development Ordinance. Class A and Class B Special Use Permit applications can be found here.
Telecommunication Towers and Facilities
Persons interested in existing telecommunication towers in Orange County should click here to view a cell tower site inventory map. If you are interested in co-locating on an existing telecommunications tower, the inventory may assist you in your search.
For new tower applications, please refer to Section 5.10, Standards for Telecommunication Facilities, of the Unified Development Ordinance.
Planning Department staff can approve stealth towers and facilities less than 75 feet in height administratively. Only a building permit is normally required. For facilities greater than 75 feet, but less than 150 feet, a Class B Special Use Permit is required. Additional Information regarding the Class B Special Use Permit process can be found in Section 2.7, Special Use Permits, of the Unified Development Ordinance.
Persons wishing to install a new sign or modify an existing sign on their property should refer to Section 6.12, Signs, of the Unified Development Ordinance. A sign application can be found here.
Persons wishing to install outdoor lighting shall review Section 6.11, Outdoor Lighting, of the Unified Development Ordinance.
Standards regarding landscaping requirements can be found in Section 6.8, Landscaping, Buffers, and Tree Protection, of the Unified Development Ordinance.
Childcare and Educational Facilities
Standards regarding childcare and education facilities, including day cares, can be found in Section 5.8, Childcare and Education Facilities, of the Unified Development Ordinance. Day Care Home Applications can be found here.
Return to the top