Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) and
For information and appointments call
STD Testing and Counseling
We provide free, confidential counseling and testing for sexually transmitted diseases (STD) at both clinic locations (Hillsborough and Chapel Hill).
Services include a physical examination, appropriate labs, treatment and counseling for:
- Chlamydia (females only)
- Herpes (tissue culture for clients with symptoms only)
- Urethritis (males only)
STD testing is by appointment with same day or next day availability.
Contact the clinic at Hillsborough (919) 245-2400 or Chapel Hill (919) 968-2022 for further information or an appointment.
HIV/AIDS Testing and Counseling
(Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immunodeficiency Disease Syndrome)
Free and Confidential HIV Testing
HIV Counseling and Testing services are available at both clinic locations (Hillsborough and Chapel Hill). Appointments for the HIV blood test are available the day of request or the next day. Results are available within 1-2 weeks. There is no charge for the test. All services are confidential.
Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis for High-Risk Individuals
We offer prescriptions for Truvada, a pre-exposure prophylaxis, to patients identified as being at high-risk for HIV infection. Any patient receiving a Truvada prescription will also be required to participate in regular follow-up appointments where they will be seen at the health department every three months for assessment, counseling, and a blood test.
Those considered to be high-risk are:
- Serodiscordant couples (couples where one partner is infected with HIV and the other is not)
- Men who have sex with men and engage in high-risk sexual behaviors or have been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection within the last six months
- Heterosexually active men and women who do not use condoms frequently
- People who use IV drugs and report to share needles
The health department is working in conjunction with UNC Pharmacy Patient Assistance Program so eligible clients can receive a month’s supply of Truvada for $4.00.
- Limit your number of sexual partners
- Never share needles
- Use condoms correctly and consistently
Information about HIV/AIDS, Risk Reduction, and Testing