Drug Drop Boxes
Prescription drugs must be taken correctly, stored securly, disposed of properly, and NEVER shared.
Now you can safely and properly dispose of unwanted, unused, and/or expired medications!
Drop Box Locations:
Visit one of the three local Orange County Police Departments during their normal business hours to drop your medicines in the box. No questions asked.
- Carrboro Police Department/ Carrboro Century Center - (919) 918-7397
- Chapel Hill Police Department - (919) 968-2760
- Hillsborough Police Department - (919) 732-9381
Click here to locate drug drop boxes in other cities and states.
Save lives. Protect the environment.
Dispose of unneccessary medications.
Drug drop boxes are intended for liquid and pill medications that are expired, unused, or unwated. Liquid medications must remain in original containers. Pill medications may remain in original containers or be placed in a sealable plastic bag. DO NOT drop loose pills.
Please remember to remove all identifiable information from containers or packages before disposal.
- Expired or unused medications
- Over-the-counter medications
- Medication samples
- Pet medications
- Medicated ointments and lotions
- Liquid medications
Do NOT Drop:
- Needles/ Lancets/ Syringes
- IV bags
- Bloody or infectious waste
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Empty containers
- Personal care products
Facts about prescription medication
- Unused or experied prescription medications are a public safety issue, leading to accidental poisoning, overdose, and abuse.
- Unused prescription drugs thrown in the trash can be retrieved and abused or illegally sold.
- Unused drugs that are flushed can contaminate the water supply.
- Prescription drugs can be just as dangerous as street drugs when taken without a doctor's supervision.
- The majority of teens abusing prescription drugs get them from home medicine cabinets.
- The non-medical use of prescription drugs ranks second only to marijuana as the most common form of drug abuse in America.
Request promotional materials
If you or your organization would like to obtain drug drop box promotional cards, please contact:
Ashley Mercer, Healthy Carolinians of Orange County Coordinator.
Phone: (919) 245-2440