Orange County Public Library Art Policy
The Orange County Main Library is committed to exhibiting artwork in support of the arts in Orange County in support of sharing of ideas and strengthening the fabric of the community. Annually the Library exhibits artwork from Orange County Schools (Art in the Schools) for four weeks in April / May. In addition it invites artists from Orange County and surrounding counties to apply for its annual juried exhibition series. During the calendar year, the Library displays the artwork of the selected artists in four to five exhibitions each of 6 – 8 weeks in duration. The Library may also periodically present its own non-juried exhibitions using literary or other themes.
Applications will be accepted in response to the Call to Artists and must be submitted to the Orange County Library c/o Adult programming.
Artists living or who have studios in Orange, Alamance, Caswell, Person, Chatham, Durham or Wake counties are eligible.
- Original works of art, handcrafted by the artist.
- Any media
- All works must be of material stable enough to withstand handling and exhibiting, suitably framed and / or prepared for hanging.
- A minimum of 10 pieces for the exhibition.
- The Library will publicize the exhibition(s) chosen in a press release and on our website. The Artist(s) will provide statement of work to be included in such promotional information and will provide contact information for further interviews / questions from press.
- Artworks can be for sale, the artist is allowed to advertise and provide promotional documentation. Artwork can be sold during the exhibition, however they cannot be removed until the end of the exhibition. All transactions are between the artist and the buyer, with no commission being sought by the Library.
- Artist must prepare labeling for displays. Labels can be placed on hanging system, or on the wall with pre-approved painter’s tape only. Any wall damage is the responsibility of the artist.
- The Orange County Library will allow and advertise for the artist to have an opening night reception in the meeting room. The Library does not have funding to provide food and drink for the reception.
- Orange County Library does provide suitable hanging and display materials, including a locked glass display in the foyer. Artists are responsible for hanging / displaying exhibit. Library Staff will coordinate the hanging / displaying of exhibit with selected artists.
Please send application to Orange County Main Library c/o Adult Programming, 137 W Margaret Lane, Hillsborough, NC 27278
An application to be completed and submitted online or submitted to the OCPL Main Library with 5 digital images on CD, images do not have to represent actual artwork that will be shown in the exhibition. One of these images may be used for promotional advertisement.
Policy approved on April 11, 2012.