Orange County Transit Plan and 1/2 Cent Sales Tax Transit Referendum
On November 6, 2012 voters in Orange County approved a 1/2 cent sales tax for local and regional bus improvements and a proposed 17 mile light rail line from Chapel Hill to East Durham.
Orange County will consider the following investments in public transportation totaling $661.1 million.
The costs below and the total above are listed in year-of-expenditure dollars. This means that the cost is calculated based on the value of the dollar in the year that it is spent.
- New and enhanced bus service
- Bus purchases: $17.6 million
- Bus capital: $6.7 million
- Bus operations: $106.8 million
Total: $131.1 million
- Express bus lane improvements on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd: $24.5 million
- Amtrak rail station in Hillsborough: $8.9 million
- Light rail:
- Light rail capital: $418.3 million
- Light rail operations: $59.1 million
- Debt service: $19.2 million
Total: $496.6 million
For more information about the Orange County Transit Plan and other Triangle area transit plans, please see the links below
Orange County Transit Plan Documents:
- Triangle Transit has provided a short, 2-page summary of the Orange County Transit. Click here to view this summary.
- A final version of the Orange County Transit Plan was adopted by the Board of County Commissioners on October 2nd 2012. To view the final version of the plan, click here for the main document and click here for the plan appendices
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Click here for a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) about the plan and their answers provided by Triangle Transit.
- In May 2012 the Orange County Commissioners entered into a cost sharing agreement with Durham County that outlines how the cost of the light rail project would be divided between the two counties. To view this agreement, click here. For a summary and reference map of the cost sharing agreement click here.
- Also in May 2012, the Orange County Commissioners and Triangle Transit signed a ‘Do Not Levy’ agreement which states that the ½ cent sales tax will not be levied by TTA unless they are requested to by the Orange County Commissioners. To view this agreement, click here.
- On October 2nd 2012, the Board of County Commissioners signed an Implementation Agreement between Orange County, Triangle Transit and the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro MPO which describes how the Orange County Transit Plan will be executed. To view the agreement, click here.
- For more information and detailed maps from Triangle Transit about the Orange County Transit Plan and all Triangle area transit plans, click here
- The Congestion Relief and Intermodal Transportation 21st Century Fund was passed in 2009 and authorizes the transit tax. To see the full text of this legislation, click here.