Study & Meet
The Orange County Public Library in downtown Hillsborough maintains welcoming study and meeting spaces for residents, county departments and community organizations.
Three study rooms are available on the second floor of the Main Library. The two small study rooms can accommodate up to two people and the large study room can accommodate up to six. There is no charge for study room use.
Reservations may be made up to one month ahead. Only one reservation may be made at a time.
Study rooms are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis, for up to two hours at a time. Customers who do not show up by 15 minutes after their reservation time risk having their reservation cancelled if someone else needs the room.
At the end of their reservation time, a customer may request to extend their time for up to 1 hour at a time, if no one else has reserved the room. Study room users should exit the room five minutes before the end of their reservation time.
Reservations may be made in person at the information desk on the second floor, or by calling Adult & Teen Services at 919.245.2536.
Main Library Meeting Room
The Main Library has a large meeting room available for use by the public.
Note: We do not have meeting space at our Carrboro locations.
Setup & Cleanup
Setup and cleanup of the room is the responsibility of the meeting or event organizer. Cleanup includes:
- Removing trash and recycling to the outside bins at the back of the library
- Replacing tables and chairs as noted in a diagram posted in the meeting room
We ask that you and your meeting participants have the above tasks completed in time to leave the library 15 minutes before closing.
Meeting Room Capacity
If you are using our meeting room tables and chairs for your event, the room will comfortably hold 50 people. If your event requires chairs only, it will comfortably seat 95.
- Convenient, free parking in an adjacent parking garage
- Meeting room tables and chairs
- Projector, screen, assistive listening devices. You must arrange use of this equipment prior to your meeting or event. Email for more information.
- Staging kitchen
Reserve the Meeting Room
You may reserve the meeting room up to 90 days in advance using the county’s online facility reservation system. If the library’s meeting room is already reserved, you may use the system to see if other facilities are available.
Log in to use the county’s online reservation system. (If you have not reserved a room before, you will need to create an account.) After logging in:
- Select the Main Library location
- Enter a desired date
- Provide a time range that will cover setup, cleanup, and leaving 15 minutes before closing
- Click Search. Available times show up in green, unavailable in red. If your desired date or time isn’t available at the library, try a different date or time, or a different location
- Add the item to your cart and check out. You will receive a confirmation via email
Types of Meetings & Events
The meeting room can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Events intended for the general public:
- Book launches
- Candidate forums
- Individual group meetings:
- Homeowners associations
- Non-profit boards
- Work retreats