Current Interest Projects
The Planning Director for Orange County has initiated amendment(s) to the:
- Orange County 2030 Comprehensive Plan (Future Land Use Map).
- Town of Hillsborough/Orange County Central Orange Coordinated Area Land Use Plan (Future Land Use Map); and
- Orange County Zoning Atlas.
These amendments are associated with various properties within and near the Hillsborough Economic Development district, south of Interstate 40 and north of Davis Road along Old NC 86, and are intended to optimize planned public sewer extensions and better promote properties in the area for economic development opportunities.
An on-line public information session has been scheduled for Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. During this meeting, staff will review the proposals and be available to address questions. Pre-registration is required to access the meeting. After registration, an email will be sent to you that contains a link to access the meeting. Please retain this email as the link is unique to you and must be used to access the meeting. The link to pre-register is:
The Orange County Planning Board will consider recommendations on the proposed amendments at its regular August meeting, which will also be held on-line, on Wednesday August 5, 2020 beginning at 7:00 p.m. Pre-registration is required to access the meeting. After registration, an email will be sent to you that contains a link to access the meeting. Please retain this email as the link is unique to you and must be used to access the meeting. The link to pre-register is:
Please remember you must pre-register for each meeting separately (i.e. register for the information session and planning board meeting by using each individual link provided herein).
For those individuals who may not have internet access, there are phone-in options available. Please contact Ms. Tina Love, Planning and Inspections Department Administrative Support, at (919) 245-2575 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how to call into either meeting.
A formal public hearing on the proposed amendments is expected to be held by the Board of County Commissioners on September 15, 2020. You will receive additional written notice about the public hearing closer to the actual hearing date.
Additional information on these amendment(s) can be obtaining utilizing the following links:
You may also contact staff during regular business hours for assistance:
- For Future Land Use Map Amendments - Tom Altieri, Comprehensive Planning Supervisor, at (919) 245-2579 or email@example.com; or
- For Zoning Atlas Amendments - Michael Harvey, Current Planning Supervisor, at (919) 245-2597 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pluck Farms (PIN 9820-51-5399)
Pluck farms is an agricultural operation at 6900 NC Highway 54 West within the Bingham Township of the County.
The parcel in question is approximately 57 acres in area, further identified utilizing Orange County Parcel Identification Number (PIN) 9820-51-5399, is zoned Agricultural Residential (AR) and is listed as being owned by Mr. Eric Knight:
Staff has received the following information related to the use of this property as a farm operation:
- Pluck Farm Affidavit;
- Forest Stewardship Plan;
- Operational Overview;
- Master Farm Plan;
- Department of Revenue Conditional Sales Tax Certificate
- Production Facility Plans;
- A May 15, 2020 letter, from the attorney of the property owner, seeking an updated advisory opinion (originally issued on March 30, 2020)
In reviewing the property owner’s proposal, staff has issued the following advisory opinion(s) and a final and binding determination on the ‘status’ of the property:
- March 30, 2020 Advisory Opinion
- June 4, 2020 Advisory Opinion
- June 29, 2020 Final and Binding Determination
PROCESSING OF NEW MASTER PLAN DEVELOPMENT CONDITIONAL ZONING DISTRICT (MPD-CZ) APPLICATION – RESEARCH TRIANGLE LOGISTICS PARK (RTLP)
On or about June 5, 2020 the Orange County Planning Department received a Conditional Zoning Atlas Amendment application to rezone several parcels located south of Interstate 40, west of Old NC Highway 86, within the Hillsborough Township.
Specifically staff received an application to rezone approximately 161 acres of property to Master Plan Development (MPD) Conditional Zoning for a development, referred to as the Research Triangle Logistics Park (RTLP), on parcels identified utilizing the following Orange County Parcel Identification Numbers (PIN):
- PIN 9863-71-8857: an approximately 90 acre parcel of property zoned MPD-CZ, part of the Settlers Point project approved by the County in 2018, and Major Transportation Corridor (MTC) Overlay District;
- PIN 9863-91-6573: approximately 60 acres of an 80 acre parcel zoned MPD-CZ (i.e. part of the Settlers Point project approved by the County in 2018) Economic Development Hillsborough Limited Officer (EDH-2), and Major Transportation Corridor (MTC) Overlay District;
STAFF COMMEENT: Approximately 20 acres of the parcel, north of Interstate 40, is not part of the application and will remain zoned as currently depicted on the official County Zoning Atlas.
- PIN 9862-99-8894: an approximately 12 acre parcel of property zoned Rural Residential (R-1) and Rural Buffer (RB).
On January 23, 2018 the Orange County Board of Commissioners (BOCC) approved a zoning atlas amendment creating a Master Plan Development Conditional Zoning (MPD-CZ) district allowing development of Settlers Point (materials from this meeting are available at: http://server3.co.orange.nc.us:8088/weblink/0/doc/49647/Page1.aspx).
The MPD-CZ, composed of 10 parcels and totaling 195 acres of land, created a master planned mixed use project with two distinct development areas, specifically:
District 1 (west side of Old NC Highway 86): Included Industrial, manufacturing, and research land uses;
NOTE: 2 of the parcel approved as part of the Settlers Point project are part of the zoning atlas application referenced above.
District 2 (ease side of Old NC Highway 86): Included office, retail, hotel, and commercial land uses.
NOTE: These parcels are not part of the zoning atlas application referenced above. County staff is working with these property owners to rezone these parcels to a non MPD-CZ zoning designation.
For the last few months, County staff have been meeting with the applicant to discuss the process to rezone the 3 identified properties to a new MPD-CZ district allowing for the development of RTLP.
According to the submittal, RTLP will involve the development of: ‘ … health technology, information sciences and engineering, advanced manufacturing, light manufacturing, scientific research and laboratories, logistics, warehousing and supply chain fulfillment’ land uses. It is anticipated the project will involve the construction of approximately 2,250,00 sq.ft. of building area housing these various land uses with vehicular access from both Service Road (SR 1223) and Davis Road (SR 1129).
As a general reminder, if the RTLP proposal is approved by the County, it will mean the Settlers Point MPD-CZ will be eliminated. RTLP will be developed under a new set of conditions, which are mutually agreed to by the applicant and the County during the review process.
Review and action on the Project shall be in accordance with the provision(s) of Section 2.9 Conditional Districts of the UDO. The timeline for the public review/comment of the application is as follows:
- July 15 or 16, 2020 – Neighborhood Information Meeting (NIM). A NIM shall be held allowing local property owners to ask the applicant questions and for staff to provide information on the process associated with the review of the project. Given current COVID-19 pandemic protocols, this will be an on-line meeting sponsored/administered by the applicant. Property owners within 1,000 ft. of the subject parcels will receive a letter, from the applicant, advertising the date and time of the meeting;
- August 5, 2020 – Planning Board meeting to review and potentially make a recommendation on the request;
- September 15, 2020 – First available date for public hearing by the BOCC.
The following documents are available for review:
- RTLP Project Narrative including the following attachment(s)/exhibit(s):
- Exhibit A – Adjoining property owner list;
- Exhibit B – Future Land Use Map for Orange County;
- Exhibit C – Water/sewer urban service boundary;
- Exhibit D – Water and Sewer Management Plan map;
- Exhibit E – Property owner authorizations allowing applicant to apply for rezoning;
- Exhibit F – Master Sign Plan;
- Exhibit G – Environmental Assessment;
- Exhibit H – Traffic Impact Analysis.
- Master Concept Plan including:
- Existing conditions;
- Preliminary concept site plan;
- Environmental features;
- Utility locations;
- Internal roadways;
- Landscape/buffer plan.
NOTE: The project narrative and concept plan(s) are being reviewed by staff and are subject to change/modification to address comment(s). As new versions are available, they will be uploaded to the Department webpage.
Class B Special Use Permit – Orange County Lacrosse
Orange County Planning staff has received a Class B Special Use Permit (SUP) application proposing a new lacrosse facility, Orange County Lacrosse, on Atkins Road. You are receiving this letter because property you own is within 1,000 ft. of the lacrosse property, which is further described as follows:
Parcel Identification Number (PIN)
Chakey, Pedneau, and Olive, LLC
On Atkins Road near the intersection of NC 49 and Lynch Store Road
Recreational Facility (Class B SUP Required)
Agricultural Residential (AR)
Back Creek Protected Watershed
The applicant is proposing a privately-owned outdoor recreational facility for lacrosse league practice and tournaments. If approved, the facility will include the following features:
- 6 grass lacrosse fields;
- 281 parking spaces (72 paved and 209 gravel); and
- A 100’ wide vegetative buffer around the perimeter of the property.
The applicant is not proposing any outdoor lighting or permanent restroom facilities (i.e., septic systems). With no lighting, the facility would operate during daylight hours only.
There will be a Neighborhood Information Meeting (NIM) on Tuesday, December 17th. The meeting will allow neighbors to meet with the applicants and discuss the proposed project. It will also give Planning staff the opportunity to answer any questions regarding the permitting process.
Here are the details for the Orange County Lacrosse NIM:
NIM Meeting Date
Tuesday, December 17, 2019
Orange County Library
137 W. Margaret Lane
Hillsborough, NC 27278
After the NIM, the Orange County Board of Adjustment will hold a Quasi-Judicial Hearing to decide the Class B SUP case. We will update the website when an official hearing date is scheduled.
For more information on this project, please call Current Planning at 919-245-2574 and/or review the following documents:
NCDOT I-40 Widening Plans
For more information please contact:
Nish Trivedi, Transportation Planner - 919-245-2582
Tom Altieri, Comprehensive Planning Supervisor - 919-245-2579
Craig Benedict, Planning and Inspections Director - 919-245-2585