Current Interest Projects
PROCESSING OF NEW MASTER PLAN DEVELOPMENT CONDITIONAL ZONING DISTRICT (MPD-CZ) APPLICATION – EFLAND STATION
Notice of Application Withdrawal
On Friday February 5, 2021, the County received a letter from Mr. Stan Beard, the Director of Real Estate for Buc-ee’s Limited, formally withdrawing the application. As a result, no further action on the request is required by the County.
Per Section 2.2.8 of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), no application: … for the same or similar amendment, affecting the same property or a portion of it, may be submitted for a period of one year. Said one year period begins on the date of denial or withdrawal, as appropriate. While staff is able to process site plan application(s) proposing development consistent with current land use designations and regulations, submittal of a new MPD-CZ application proposing similar development (i.e. travel center with gas pumps, office, restaurant, light manufacturing, etc.) will not be possible until February 5, 2022.
The letter withdrawing the application can be viewed here.
Submittal of a Class B Special Use Permit – Proposed Recreation Facility
December 14, 2020 – Update:
Pursuant to North Carolina General Statute Chapter 153A Sections 340 and 345.1, Chapter 160A Section 388, and Section 2.12 of the Orange County Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), the Board of Adjustment will hold a hearing in Room 230 of the Whitted Building at 300 W. Tryon Street, Hillsborough, North Carolina on Monday, December 14, 2020 at 7:00 pm. The purpose of the meeting is for the board to take specific action on the following item(s):
- A-3-20 – Quasi-judicial hearing to review a Variance Application requesting a 30 foot reduction to the required County stream buffer for a parcel off of Sunrise Road within the Chapel Hill Township of the County.
- A-4-20 – Evidentiary hearing to review a Class B Special Use Permit application for a recreational facility on Old Greensboro Highway in the Bingham Township. - Application for this case can be viewed/accessed below.
Please note these are quasi-judicial hearings, which requires a “fair trial standard”. That means the Board of Adjustment will consider only competent, material, and substantial evidence. Following the close of the hearing, the Board of Adjustment will examine only the evidence presented at the hearing to make its determination. Changes may ultimately be made to the advertised request, which reflect debate, objections, and discussion at the hearing.
Consistent with observing appropriate social distancing protocols during the COVID pandemic, the review/public hearing for these requests is expected to occur in separate meeting(s) generally outlined as follows:
- December 14, 2020 – Evidentiary Hearing: The Board will determine standing (i.e. who has the ability to address/offer evidence to the Board) and the submittal of evidence on each individual request.
NOTE: If there are not multiple parties intending to present evidence, the Board is able to hold the public hearing, accept evidence, close the hearing and deliberate, and make a formal determination on December 14.
- January 11, 2020 – Public Hearing: For those cases where multiple parties intended to offer testimony/evidence, the Board will hear same on this date.
Parties intending to speak on an application (i.e. either in support or opposition) are required to complete a Statement of Standing and Intended Evidence form and submit them to staff by 1:00 p.m. Friday December 11, 2020. Parties not submitting forms by the deadline will not be allowed to address the Board during the public hearing.
The meeting shall be streamed on-line and can be viewed at: http://www.orangecountync.gov/967/Meeting-Videos.
Staff has received a Special Use permit (hereafter ‘SUP’) application proposing development of a Recreational Facility, specifically development of athletic fields on property within the Chapel Hill Township. The applicant owns 2 parcels, further identified utilizing Orange County Parcel Identification Numbers (PIN):
- 9758-52-5171 (no physical street address assigned) – 16.2 acres; and
- 9758-62-2155 (1641 Holly Creek Lane) – 8.3 acres
both zoned Rural Buffer (RB) and University Lake Protected Watershed Protection Overlay District. Recreational activities shall be limited to the 16.2 acre parcel. 1641 Holly Creek Lane has been previously developed, specifically there is an existing single-family residence on the parcel.