Emergency Housing Assistance
The EHA program assists households in Orange County facing eviction.
- We process applications based on the date listed on the court summons you have received in the mail.
- There are no income requirements to receive assistance, however, we do require proof of income to receive assistance.
- You may apply for assistance until you have reached our program cap (NEW LOWER $5,000 in a calendar year).
- We do not process applications until we have all the necessary documentation.
If you have not received a court summons, you do not qualify for emergency housing assistance from Orange County.
Please contact the Housing Helpline for information about other community resources that may be able to help you with your housing needs. Call 919-245-2655 (Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org, anytime.
If you have a court summons, you may apply for assistance today. We may be able to help with some or all of the following -
- past due rent,
- late pet and other fees to landlords, and
- housing related court fees.
**Due to the number of requests we receive for assistance, we will not process any application until we have all required documents.**
Option 1: Online
We have a new online application system. There is no need to download a pdf, just click here.
Option 2: Pick up an application in
Hillsborough - Whitted Building, 300 W. Tryon St, 3rd floor (Google Map | Circulator Route) or
Chapel Hill - Southern Human Services Center, 2501 Homestead Rd (Google Map | HS Bus Route)
Submit your application by
Call 919-245-2655, Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm or
- Email email@example.com, anytime
If you need help with mortgage payments, please contact the NC Homeowner Assistance Fund.
Note: The County has an Eviction Diversion program where you can get free legal advice. Contact the Housing Helpline for a referral. 919-245-2655, Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm or firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the Housing Helpline at email@example.com or (919) 245-2655, Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm. Or stop by our Chapel Hill location, Tuesdays or Thursdays, 8:30am-4pm for in-person help.