Fiber Project

Orange County is constructing a fiber network to link three county facilities in Hillsborough.  

This will allow Orange County to have a backup internet connection in the event the primary network connection should fail due to severe weather, accident, or other catastrophes. The backup internet connection will allow Orange County to continue to provide services to the public in a timely, effective manner. 

Streets Impacted

  • U.S. 70 - from the Bonnie B. Davis Environment and Agricultural Center to Revere Road
  • Revere Road - from U.S. 70 to North Nash Street
  • North Nash Street - between Revere Road and West Tryon Street
  • West Tryon Street - between Nash Street and Hassel Street
  • Hassel Street - between West Tryon Street and West Margaret Lane
  • West Margaret Lane - from Hassel Street to the Orange County Main Library 

Fiber Project Map


The contractor for this work is NetPlanner.

The subcontractor is Performance Cabling Technologies (PCT) who will do the underground boring and construction. PCT trucks and equipment will be branded with the company name.

Notifications / Door Hangers

Informational door hangers should be distributed by the contractor about one week in advance of construction in your area.  NetPlanner will place door hangers on any house or property that will be affected by construction in the right of way.

Paint Markings

Paint markings will be sprayed on the ground several weeks before construction. The paint tells contractors where existing underground utility lines are so that the lines can be avoided when digging. The paint typically disappears in a few weeks.

Construction Hours and Noise

Work may occur 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekdays. However, permission may be given to expand this schedule on a case-by-case basis. While construction noise can be as loud as necessary during these permitted times, you should not be bothered by noise in your home or business outside of these times.

Digging will only happen Monday-Thursday and will follow noise ordinances of the North Carolina Department of Transportation and the Town of Hillsborough. On Fridays, the contractor will place grass seed over what they have constructed per NCDOT specifications. 

Post Construction

In most cases and weather permitting, private property and public rights of way should be restored to original condition within three to five business days once construction is complete.

Companies are not required by law to coordinate their activities, which means that even after one company is finished and the property is restored, other companies can come through the same area and start the process over.

Construction Method

The construction method to be used is directional boring, which allows for quicker installation with less environmental disturbance.

Construction Area / Rights of Way

Work on public streets or in rights of way is governed by a utility cut permit or an encroachment agreement from the Town of Hillsborough or an encroachment agreement from the North Carolina Department of Transportation, depending on which entity maintains the road.

A public right of way is designated between most streets and the adjacent private property. This is where service providers are allowed by law to place their fiber along with water, sewer and electrical lines. Typically, the rights of way include the area from the street toward your home for about 8 feet. However, the right of way varies throughout Hillsborough and can be greater.

Contractors should receive permission from property owners before working on private property. This would include townhouse, condominium and apartment complexes.

What if I have questions or complaints?

For questions or concerns about construction in your area, call the number on the subcontractor vehicle or door hanger or use the contact information below for assistance. Call 911 immediately if you believe there is a danger threatening life or health.

If you are not satisfied with the company’s response, please contact Orange County Information Technologies weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Filing formal complaints

Register complaints with the state by contacting: