HIV/AIDS Testing & Counseling
(Human Immunodeficiency Virus / Acquired Immunodeficiency Disease Syndrome)
For information and appointments call: (919) 245-2400
Free & Confidential HIV Testing
Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immunodeficiency Disease Syndrome (HIV) Counseling and Testing services are available at both clinic locations (Hillsborough and Chapel Hill). Appointments for the HIV blood test are available the day of request or the next day. Results are available within 1 to 2 weeks. There is no charge for the test. All services are confidential.
PrEP - Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis for High-Risk Individuals
We offer prescriptions for Truvada, a pre-exposure prophylaxis, to patients identified as being at high-risk for HIV infection. Any patient receiving a Truvada prescription will also be required to participate in regular follow-up appointments where they will be seen at the health department every three months for assessment, counseling, and a blood test.
Those considered to be high-risk are:
- Serodiscordant couples (couples where one partner is infected with HIV and the other is not)
- Men who have sex with men and engage in high-risk sexual behaviors or have been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection within the last six months
- Heterosexually active men and women who do not use condoms frequently
- People who use IV drugs and report to share needles
The health department is working in conjunction with UNC Pharmacy Patient Assistance Program so eligible clients can receive a month's supply of Truvada for $4.
- Limit your number of sexual partners
- Never share needles
- Use condoms correctly and consistently