Orange County DSS, Transportation announce service changes in response to COVID-19
To assure physical distancing and to keep visitors and staff safe, the computer resource rooms at both Orange County Department of Social Services locations (Southern Human Services, 2501 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill, and Hillsborough Commons, 113 Mayo Street, Hillsborough) are now closed to the public.
The following resources are available for persons needing assistance:
- To apply for unemployment insurance, please apply on-line (des.nc.gov) or on the telephone (888-737-0259) through the N.C Department of Commerce. The NCDoC reports long waits on the telephone and encourages you to apply online.
- If you wish to talk with an employment worker from the Department of Social Services, call 919-245-2821
- To apply for Food and Nutrition Services, Medicaid or Work First benefits, apply on-line at ePass (https://epass.nc.gov/CitizenPortal/application.do), over the phone at 919-245-2800 or by mail. Applications may be picked up in the lobbies at either DSS location.
- If you need to make changes to your existing benefits or have questions about these programs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org call 919-245-2800.
The Department of Social Services will continue to process applications and changes as quickly as possible, recognizing the extreme challenges facing many in our community.
Orange County Public Transportation
OCPT will continue to operate the Hillsborough Circulator from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily effective April 1. Transportation to medical appointments will be provided by appointment only. These services will be provided fare-free until further notice.
The Orange-Alamance and Orange-Chapel Hill Connectors remain suspended until further notice.
For medical appointments, reservations are required. Non-Medicaid Trips: Call Reservation Line 919-245-2004. Medicaid Trips: Call Orange County Department of Social Service Voicemail 919-245-2774 or Fax 919-732-2137.
- Visit the Orange County website for more information about which county services remain operable via online or telephone.