Books, DVDs, Hotspots, Kindles, Video Games
With an account at the Orange County Public Library, you may borrow audiobooks, books, computers, DVDs, e-books, hotspots, Kindles, magazines, music, newspapers, research databases, video games, and more -- all for free! All of these items may be found in our catalog.
Borrow 40 Items
You may check out up to 40 items to your account at any time, including up to 5 video games and 3 tabletop board games.
Most items may be borrowed for 21 days and renewed up to 2 times, as long as they have not been placed on hold by another customer. The exception is DVDs and board games, which are due 7 days after they are checked out.
Renew and Place Holds
It's easy to renew or place a hold on any item in our catalog. You may visit us in Hillsborough or in Carrboro, call 919.245.2525 during operating hours, email email@example.com or use your online account. We even have a an instructional video you can watch describing how to place holds online.
Depending on your account preferences, we will contact you by email or phone when your hold becomes available. You will have 7 days to pick up your items.
Lucky Day Collection
In our Lucky Day Collection, you will find hot-off-the-press books from your favorite authors, available to check out on the spot.
Hotspots (1 per family) Check availability
- Must be returned at a service desk, fully charged, and in its original packing and with its accessories.
- Carry special fees if they are damaged ($49), reconfigured ($5), or if you exceed allowed data limits. All fees will be added to your library account
- Cannot send/receive text messages or be used for travel outside of the continental U.S.
Kindles currently unavailable at this time
- Are pre-loaded with fiction and nonfiction bestsellers and other popular titles. Visit our online catalog and the title you're looking for to see if it is available on a Kindle
- Available for check out at the Main Library in Hillsborough
- Require a user agreement where you accept full financial responsibility for the device and agree to pay all costs associated with damage to or theft/loss while it is checked out to you
- Must be returned -- with its original packing, accessories, library settings and existing titles -- in a special bin at curbside or by bringing it to a service desk at least 30 minutes before the library closes. We spot check the device to be sure it is in working order
- Carry special fees if they are returned to a book drop ($25) or damaged, stolen or lost (up to $150). All fees will be added to your library account
You will find basic operating instructions in the Kindle check out packet. For more detailed instructions, see the Amazon Kindle User's Guide