We currently offer two types of book clubs, those led by librarians and others led by community members. All book clubs are open to anyone who wishes to join!
Carrboro Book Club (Cybrary in Carrboro or Zoom)
This club meets the 4th Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Register online or by calling 919.245.2525 (Main Library in downtown Hillsborough) or 919.918.7387 (Cybrary in downtown Carrboro). You will receive the Zoom code the day of the book club.
- August 22, 2023 - The Swimmers by Julie Otsuka
- September 26, 2023 - Shrines of Gaiety by Kate Atkinson
- October 24, 2023 - Scary Monsters by Michelle De Kretser
- November 2023 - Programming Break
- December 2023 - Programming Break
Not a Book Club (Zoom)
The next best thing to reading a good book is talking about it with our fellow readers. Join us online the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30 p.m. for an informal book discussion. We’re "Not a Book Club," so there’s no assigned reading and no pressure. Just grab a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, and let’s talk books! Register here or call 919.245.2525 for more details.
Page Turners Book Club (Seymour Center in Chapel Hill)
Join us the 3rd Friday of the month from 10-11a.m. at the Seymour Center in Chapel Hill. The book club is free, open to the public and no registration required. Call Maureen at 919.245.2535 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- August 18, 2023 - The Maid by Nina Prose
- September 15, 2023 - Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
- October 20, 2023 - Mastering the Art of French Murder by Colleen Cambridge
- November 17, 2023 - The Family Vault by Charlotte MacLeod
- December – No meeting
- January 19, 2024 - Still Life by Louise Penny
Community Member-Led Book Clubs
First Monday Classics (Main Library in Hillsborough)
This club meets the 1st Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Please email James Maxey for more details.
- August 7, 2023 – Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
- September – no meeting
- October 2, 2023 – The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding
- November 6, 2023 – O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
- December 4, 2023 – The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
Tuesday Evening Book Club (Main Library in Hillsborough)
This club meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. in the Main Library's meeting room. For meeting information, please contact Sara Levinson.
- August 8, 2023 – The New Better Off: Reinventing the American Dream by Courtney Martin
- September 12, 2023 – Reader’s choice
- October 10, 2023 – The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams
Book Club Kits
If you’d like to start your own book club, we can help. Each kit includes a reader’s guide that contains discussion questions and/or an author spotlight. Find out more information here.