About Volunteer Boards & Commissions
One way residents can have a positive impact on the future of Orange County is to volunteer to serve on a volunteer board or commission. Orange County strives for authentically diverse representation on boards and commissions. Residents of all demographic backgrounds, identities, and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Volunteers appointed by the Board of County Commissioners have the opportunity to directly influence the County’s decisions, policies, and priorities.
What are the Requirements?
If you would like to help your community by volunteering for one of these boards or commissions, please review the Board of County Commissioners Advisory Board Policy (PDF) and the General Requirements for Advisory Board Service (PDF) before you submit an application. Main requirements include:
- Must be at least 18 years old (unless applying for a youth-designated position)
- Must maintain a domicile in Orange County
- Must adhere to 75% attendance requirement for all board members in order to maintain membership
- Must be willing and able to comply with ethical requirements associated with board service
Individuals who are appointed to the Board of Equalization and Review, Economic Development Advisory Board, Orange County Board of Adjustment, and Orange County Planning Board will need to complete a disclosure statement upon appointment and annually thereafter.
Some positions require specific residence locations. See the Township Map (PDF) if you need to determine in which Township you live. Boundary maps are also available for the City Limits and surrounding areas of Chapel Hill & Carrboro (PDF), Hillsborough (PDF), and Mebane (PDF). You can also identify your Township and Zoning Designation here.
How to Apply?
Please be aware that upon submitting an application for volunteer service, North Carolina Public Records Law indicates the document is a public record.
Fill out and return to:
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Fax to 919-640-1953
What Happens Next?
- The Clerk's Office will notify you when your application has been received and screened.
- Appointments are made to various boards usually on a monthly schedule.
- The Clerk's Office will notify you if you are appointed.
- If you are not initially appointed to a board for which you have applied, your application will be resubmitted automatically until such time that you are appointed, or your application expires (2 years from date of submission).
Please contact the Clerk's Office if you have any questions.