Orange County Solid Waste has announced that homeowners impacted by the storms that hit Orange County on April 5 are eligible to have their solid waste disposal fees eliminated when bringing storm-related debris to the Orange County Landfill.
Only properties identified by Orange County Emergency Management are eligible for this waiver, and the following restrictions apply:
- After Emergency Management identifies the impacted areas and the list is made publicly available, affected property owners will have 72 hours to apply to the Department of Solid Waste Management of the need to dispose of storm-related debris and request a fee waiver.
- Property Owner will have six consecutive days following approval of the fee waiver application in which to utilize the fee waiver.
- Property owner will be limited to 2 trips per day to the Landfill while fees are being waived
- No tractor trailer size loads will be accepted as part of the waiver.
- The Property Owner or their representative must adhere to the size limits for tree stumps, and all material shall be required to comply with the Regulated Recyclable Material Ordinance.
- Tree logs shall not be longer than 12 feet in length nor wider than 14 inches in diameter.
Once an application is approved, the property owner will receive a unique identifier, which must be presented, along with ID, to the scale house upon arrival at the Orange County Landfill (1514 Eubanks Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27516). Materials must be disposed of at the landfill.
How to apply
Impacted residents may call Solid Waste Management at (919) 968-2885 or email us at email@example.com to request a waiver. Applications must be received by close of business on Friday, June 7.Please include the street address of the property.
Types of debris accepted
- Construction and demolition waste
- Yard Waste and Clean wood
- Scrap Metal and large appliances