Vehicle Registration Gap Property Tax Notice

What is this Gap Property Tax Notice that I just received?
Gap billing is a property tax bill that covers the months between the expiration of a vehicle’s registration and the renewal of that registration or the issuance of a new registration. The vehicle is unregistered during the gap in registration. For more information, reference the FAQs, contact the Orange County Tax Office at 919-245-2100 or by emailing and reference Gap Billing Notice. 

Receipt for Taxes

The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) now collects the property tax on registered motor vehicles.  To determine and/or document the amount of property tax paid on your vehicle, four methods are available:

  1. Reference the right half of your perforated registration card mailed to you by NCDMV upon renewal.  It is a receipt of taxes and fees paid.
  2. Contact NCDMV at (919) 814-1779 and request a duplicate receipt be mailed to you.
  3. If renewing online, submit an email address during the registration renewal process and have a receipt emailed to you for record retention.
  4. Go to then select: MyDMV (which is located on the NC DMV web page). A list of credentials required to retrieve an individual's unofficial paid property tax receipts are:
  • NC Driver's License or NC Identification Card Number.
  • The last 4 digits of your Social Security Number, I-94 (Arrival/Departure US Customs Form) or Alien Registration Number.
  • Your date of birth.

Once you have logged in, you will see "Correspondence" on the right side of the screen.  Each year that you have paid vehicle property taxes through the DMV, it will be listed there.  Select the desired year and the system will produce a tax statement.  It will show the amount of vehicle property taxes paid for the year, the amount per vehicle, and the taxing county.  The tax statement may be printed for income tax purposes.  Currently, businesses are not able to access tax information through the MyDMV Portal.