Employment Services for Older Adults
Job seekers, right now, there are part-time and full-time jobs available. Large retailers and delivery companies – Amazon, CostCo, WalMart, and several grocery and pharmacy chains are hiring people for warehouse, stocking, cashier and delivery positions. In addition, jobs working remotely from home are also available, and increasing significantly. Many businesses and organizations are hiring. A list of companies currently hiring for remote jobs is available on the under the Resources for Mature Job Seekers tab below.
If you are interested in applying for any of these jobs, you need to be sure your resume and cover letter are current, strong and compelling. You will want to be confident and knowledgeable about interviewing -- how best to answer questions, and what questions you should ask. If you want help, please email our employment specialist, Mike Komives or call/text (919) 616-8778.
Being Better than Before: A FREE WEBINAR SERIES for the Mature Worker
Please join us for a four-part webinar series designed to help the Mature Worker. We’ll provide advice on how to find a job you love. We’ll share principles and practices for growing your creative capacity and developing your best entrepreneurial behaviors. And we’ll show you productive ways to think about this new world we’ll be living in from now on—the changes we will find as we step back into it will be profound, and we need to be prepared for wave after wave of changes that will continue to wash over us for years to come.
Each webinar is 90 minutes long and will be led by four folks who have been serving the 50+ community for years.
- Mike Komives MBA, Employment Specialist, Orange County Department on Aging, helps mature workers improve their job finding skills.
- Heidi Hackney, MC, CPCC, ACC- Owner/Coach, Dream Reach, LLC, will help you apply your values and tap into your talents to serve your job search.
- Mark Tully: Partner, Being Better than Before, will help you understand the neuroscience behind your preferred business behaviors.
- Carl Nordgren Partner, Being Better than Before, will help you develop the creative and entrepreneurial qualities of those preferred business behaviors.
Between them they have helped thousands of mature workers identify the job they’ll enjoy doing most, find that job, and then perform consistently at peak levels. They’ve been revising and extending their content to suit this new world and look forward to sharing their insights with you.
Time: 10-11:30 am
Wednesday, June 17
Friday, June 19
Wednesday, June 24
Friday, June 26
Please register by calling the Seymour Center at 919-968-2070. All registrants will receive Zoom ID and passcode via email prior to June 17th. Zoom Webinars will be fast paced and the hosts will invite your participation.
Being Better than Before: Living a fulfilling and creative life in the new world (Part II)
A free webinar filled with optimism about our futures.
As you look out at this new world, what do you see?
We see the pandemic as both a tragedy—and we hope you and your family are navigating it well—and as an important reminder that we live in a world filled with unexpected changes.
We believe that whatever you intend to do living in this new world you will do it more successfully, more gracefully, even more joyously, if you approach it as the most creative version of yourself, with the goal of being better than before.
We are offering two fast paced and entertaining webinars that will:
- Share new research about the biological changes happening to a 55+ brain that invite us to take on a creative renewal
- Share the creative concepts that will accelerate the growth of your creative capacities.
- Explore the neuroscience behind why we have favorite behaviors and how we can strengthen them
- Guide you in the creation of your personal Being Better than Before plan
Webinar led by:
- Mark Tully, who will help you understand why you favor certain behaviors through by exploring the links between how you think and what you do.
- Carl Nordgren, who will help you embrace that each of us is born with remarkable creative capacities and will share concepts and strategies for growing them.
- Heidi Hackney, who will provide practical tips on how to integrate these creative concepts and neurological insights into your life.
Time: 10 – 11:30 am
Wednesday, July 1
Wednesday, July 8
Register for program by calling the Seymour Center at 919-968-2070. All registrants will receive Zoom ID and passcode via email prior to July 1. Webinar will be fast paced and the hosts will invite your participation.
In person meetings and classes have been SUSPENDED due to COVID-19
For help by phone or email, please contact Mike Komives or cal/text 919-616-8778
- Resumes have changed! Is yours current?
- 50% of all jobs are not posted! How do you find them?
- LinkedIn is a very effective resource. Is your profile strong?
- Age Discrimination exists. Tips for how to address it.
- Guiding your contacts is important. Don’t use your resume.
- Some part-time jobs come with health-care insurance.
- Interviewing – “Why Should We Hire You?”
- You don’t get a 2nd chance to make a 1st Impression. How you look matters.