Special Needs Registry
The Special Needs Registry is a database containing information about individuals in Orange County with special needs who may require assistance in the event of a disaster. If there is a disaster, those on the registry will be called and given information about how to prepare for or respond to the disaster, given information regarding facilities or shelters, and to check on their well-being.
The information may also be used to assist emergency personnel and volunteers in providing assistance. Participation in the Special Needs registry is voluntary. Individuals on the registry decide whether to accept assistance and / or remain responsible for themselves in the event of an emergency.
Eligible applicants may:
- Be homebound
- Eligibility for the registry is determined on a case-by-case basis, and is not guaranteed
- Have contagious health conditions needing minimal precautions or isolation
- Have mental health or developmental problems
- Have minor health or medical conditions that require observation and/or help
- Need assistance that cannot be provided by public shelter staff
- Need medication and vital sign monitoring
- Need minimal help with activities of daily living
Applications may be taken in person, or mailed in to the Orange County Department of Social Services in Hillsborough.
Bringing the following items will aid in the process of applications:
- Emergency Contact Information
- Medicaid / Medicare/Health Insurance Card or number
- Name / Address/Phone Number of Caretaker
- Name / Address/Phone Number of Doctor
- Phone Number of Pharmacy
- Social Security Card or number
You may download and print the Disaster Special Needs Registry (PDF).