- Departments A - F
- Emergency Services
- Fire & Life Safety
Fire & Life Safety
Target recalls 5 million candles that can cause burns and lacerations.
Example of Product Recalled by Target
The OCES Fire & Life Safety Division is dedicated to preserving life, property, and environmental resources through education, prevention, investigation, and fire code enforcement.
The Fire & Life Safety Division is responsible for:
- Enforcement of the North Carolina fire code which includes fire inspections and permitting
- Public fire education and community outreach
- County fire department coordination
- Fire investigations
- Hazardous materials response
- Reviewing plans for new building construction
The office operates during business hours for routine services, but is on call 24 hours a day. Staff works with Orange County Planning and Inspections Department to review plans for major renovations or construction of facilities subject to the provisions of the North Carolina Building code and North Carolina Fire Prevention Code.
For fire prevention safety tips check out the National Fire Protection Association Safety page.
- Fire Extinguisher information and training
- Safety for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (PDF)
- Fire Safety for Kids
- Smoke Alarm Facts and Questions
How We Can Help
- Provide free smoke alarms and installation to vulnerable citizens and at risk communities
- Home safety tips and courtesy home fire inspections
Inspection & Permit Information
Permits, under the authority of the North Carolina Fire Code, are applied for and issued by Orange County Fire & Life Safety Division. For permitting inquiry please see the applications page.
Planning - Building Permits and Inspections Division.
View information about building inspections.
Orange County will be switching to new permit software soon. Although the Fire & Life Safety Division will remain operational, some county divisions may need to shutdown their systems temporarily.
Common Fire Code Violations Found
The Fire & Life Safety Division is responsible for enforcing the North Carolina Fire Prevention Code. For applicability and inquiry to specific questions regarding enforcement or clarification please contact the Fire & Life Safety Chief directly.
- Failure to obtain a change in use or occupancy when tenants relocate
- Failure to maintain 30 second and/or 90 minute emergency exit light maintenance check and documentation
- Failure to have the fire extinguishers inspected
- Use of non-approved extension cord
- View the complete 2018 North Carolina Fire Prevention Code
- View past North Carolina Codes
Elizabeth FarnanChief - Fire & Life SafetyPhone: 919-537-2149
David CatesAssistant Fire MarshalPhone: 919-395-2282
Bob McSorleyAssistant Fire MarshalPhone: 919-257-1891
Celsi SimonAssistant Fire MarshalPhone: 919-257-8316