Fire Marshal Division
The OCES Fire Marshal Division is dedicated to preserving life, property, and environmental resources through education, prevention, investigation, and fire code enforcement.
The Fire Marshal Division is responsible for:
- Conducting fire inspections
- County fire department coordination
- Enforcing the North Carolina Fire Prevention Code
- Fire/arson investigations
- Hazardous materials response
- Reviewing plans for new building construction
- SARA Title III reporting in the unincorporated areas of Orange County
The office operates during business hours for routine services, but is on call 24 hours a day. Staff works with Orange County Planning and Inspections Department to review plans for major renovations or construction of facilities subject to the provisions of the North Carolina Fire Prevention Code.
For fire prevention safety tips check out the National Fire Protection Association Safety page.
- Fire Extinguisher information and training
- Fire Prevention Week is in October
- Fire Safety for Kids
- Smoke Alarm Facts and Questions
How We Can Help
- Provide free smoke alarms and installation to vulnerable citizens and at risk communities
- Home safety tips and courtesy home fire inspections
Inspection & Permit Information
Permits under the authority of the Fire Marshal's Division, are applied for and issued by Orange County Planning - Building Permits and Inspections Division. View information about building inspections.
Orange County will be switching to new permit software soon. Although the Fire Marshal Division will remain operational, some county divisions may need to shutdown their systems temporarily.