Real and Personal Property Auctions
The Orange County Tax Collector uses the In Rem method of foreclosure, in accordance with North Carolina General Statute 105-375.
After the Tax Office has exhausted all other means of collection, properties are seized and then auctioned off.
Next Sale Date: MARCH 13, 2019 at 12:01pm
To be held at the Orange County Courthouse Steps, 106 E. Margaret Lane Hillsborough NC
Below is a list of properties currently being foreclosed: All are sold subject to 2019 taxes that are not covered under this judgment. Purchaser will be responsible for taxes not included in the judgment.
- PIN #9778876328, County of Orange v. Jean J. Williams – File # 18 M 291; Legal Description: BEGINNING at an iron pin located in the eastern edge of North Greensboro Street, said point of beginning lying in the northern edge projected of an alley which runs along and with the edge of property of Southern States Cooperative, Inc.; running thence from said point of beginning with the eastern edge of North Greensboro Street North 03° 36’ East 107.84 feet to an iron pin, corner with the Chan Property, running thence South 86° 45’ East and passing across a new iron set at the curb of North Greensboro Street 147.40 feet to an iron stake, corner with property S.S.C.. Inc.; running thence along and with the western line of S.S.C. Inc. South 04° 17’ 30” West 109.45 feet to an iron stake located in the northern edge of an alley; running thence North 86° 07’ 30” West and passing across a new iron set at the curb of North Greensboro Street 146.10 feet to an iron pin, the point and place of BEGINNING, and containing 15,942 square feet, more or less, and being as shown on plat and survey by Robert J. Ayers, Registered Surveyor, dated April 22, 1987 and entitled “Harold M. Williams Homeplace”, and as recorded in Plat Book 48 at Page 56, Orange Registry, reference being herby made to said plat for a more particular description. Title to the property described above is subject to all restrictions, easements, rights of way, agreements and utilities of record. (PIN# 9778876328, see Book 692 Page 453 Orange County Registry) Starting Bid $22,000 subject to change.
PIN #9778955040, County of Orange v. Suntrust Bank; Diane Robinson (interest owner) – File # 18 M 307; Legal description: All that certain lot or parcel of land situated, lying and being on the West side of Wesley Street in the Town of Carrboro, NC, and known and designated as Lot No. 15 of CARR COURT, as surveyed and plotted by J. Ralph Weaver, Registered Surveyor, on June 23, 1954, plot of which is on file in the office of the Register of Deeds of Orange County, and which is more particularly described as BEGINNING at a stake in the West property line of the said Street, the Southeast corner of Lot No. 14, running thence along the West property line of Wesley Street, South 1° East 51 feet to a stake, the Northeast corner of Lot No. 16; running thence with the line of said lot West 110.5 feet to a stake in the line of the property of Pacific Mills; running thence with the said company’s property line, North 3° 18’ West 51 feet to a stake, the Southwest corner of Lot No. 14; running thence with the line of said lot East 114 feet to the BEGINNING, and being the same land conveyed to Robert C. Brooks and his wife, by Deed of Harry D. Andrews and his wife, dated April 14,1955, and recorded in the office of the Orange County Register of Deeds in Book 154, page 38. For further reference see Plat Book 5 page 43, Orange County Register of Deeds. (PIN# 9778955040 See Deed Book 2590 Page 219 Orange County Register of Deeds) Starting Bid $23,000 subject to change.
Property Auction Information
Tax foreclosures are held throughout the year. The Orange County Sheriff’s Department conducts each sale at the courthouse steps located at:
106 E Margaret Lane
Hillsborough, NC 27278
The Notices of Sale are advertised for two weeks prior to the sale in the News of Orange or in the Chapel Hill Herald.
The highest bidder at public sale shall be required to pay in full (not make a deposit) the amount of the successful bid at the conclusion of the execution sale (subject to the confirmation of the sale as by law provided). The successful bid amount shall be paid in cash or certified funds (payable to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department).
The Sheriff’s office may, in its discretion, determine and allow a reasonable time within which to deliver the successful bid amount to that office. The successful bidder shall also be responsible for the payment of any excise tax due to the Register of Deeds office, and all recording fees at the appropriate time.
There is a ten day upset bid period in which the high bid may be upset by filing an Upset Bid with the Orange County Clerk of Court. The Upset Bid must be in cash or by certified funds in an amount greater than or equal to 5% of the amount of the Upset Bid but in any event not less than $750 dollars. The Upset Bid must be filed with the Orange County Clerk of Court by 5 p.m. on the tenth day after the filing of the Report of Sale. If the tenth day is a Sunday or a legal holiday or a day which the office of the clerk is not open then the deposit may be made the following business day.
After the ten day upset bid period expires successfully with no upset bid made the Order of Confirmation is filed and the Orange County Sheriff will execute a Non-Warranty Sheriff’s Deed. The total amount of the upset bid in full is due upon delivery of the Sheriff’s Deed.
If you have specific questions regarding Tax Foreclosures in Orange County or regarding a particular property please contact Rebecca Lee, Deputy Tax Collector for Orange County at 919-245-2728 or email Rebecca Lee.
- Properties sold may be subject to IRS Tax Liens, City/County Taxes for any years not covered under our judgment, and other restrictions of record.
- It is your responsibility to research and obtain information regarding the property, prior to the sale.
- PURCHASER WILL RECEIVE A NON-WARRANTED SHERIFF'S DEED UPON COMPLETION OF THE SALE.
- The deed description may include portions of land that have already been sold off by the current owner and are NOT subject to the sale.