Conducting Voter Registration Drives (link to State Board of Elections website for rules and to order supplies)
Online Registration for NC DMV customers (link)
NC Voter Registration Application (link to form)
You must mail or deliver your voter registration form with your original signature if you are registering to vote for the first time in Orange County. Forms may be mailed to our office at:
PO Box 220
Hillsborough, NC 27278
The voter registration deadline is 25 days before an election. Those missing the deadline may register to vote and vote during our one-stop, early voting period with proof of residency.
If you are updating your existing Orange County registration you have the option to fax or email your registration form in addition to the mail and delivery options.
Qualifications to Vote
To vote in Orange County, you must be:
- A U.S. Citizen
- A Resident of North Carolina and this county for 30 days before the election
- At least 18 years of age on or before the next general election
- Not registered and not voting in any other county or state
- If convicted of a felony, you must not be serving a sentence for a felony conviction, including probation, parole, or post-release supervision, or you are serving an extended term of probation, post-release supervision, or parole, you have outstanding fines, fees, or restitution, and you know of no other reason for the extension of your period of supervision. Statement from SBE on recent rulings affecting those registering to vote with felony convictions.
- If you move out of your precinct, but remain within Orange County, you should notify the board office in writing of your new address.
Anyone at least 16 years of age may pre-register to vote. Once submitted to the Board of Elections, these registrations will be processed and held until the registrant is qualified by age to register and vote. The registrant will then receive their voter verification card through the mail