Nuisance Animals

Animals falling under the Nuisance Animal Ordinance, include:

  • Animals at large
  • Barking
  • Being outside “in heat.”
  • Doing property damage

Nuisance animals in Orange County (including Chapel Hill and Carrboro) should be reported by calling 919-942-7387, option 1. If you are calling outside of regular operating hours, please leave a detailed message with your best contact number and someone will return your call as soon as possible.

For Animal Control emergencies when we are closed, including potential rabies exposures or animal bites to humans, please dial 9-1-1 to be connected to our on-call Animal Control Officer.

Making a Nuisance Complaint

For those making a complaint in Hillsborough or Unincorporated Orange County, include as much of the following information as possible:

  • Animal owner information, if known
  • Date and time of nuisance behavior
  • Description of animal
  • Location of animal
  • Nuisance behavior
  • Type of animal

Go here to access the Nuisance Complaint Form.