Refugee Resettlement Program
Refugee public assistance involves two programs - refugee cash assistance and refugee medical assistance. Refugees are eligible for eight months after arrival in the country. These individuals enter the United States legally as a refugee pursuant to Section 207 of the Immigration and Naturalization Act. Eligibility criteria parallel the states Medicaid and welfare programs. Application for this assistance is made at the local department of social services.
These services are provided to:
- Achieve self-sufficiency as quickly as possible
- Acquire English language skills
- Assist refugees to become employed
- Expedite the resettlement process
- Quickly reduce dependence on public assistance
Refugees are eligible for these services for the first five years they are in the United States.
Learn More and Apply
Please visit or call any Orange County DSS location to learn more about the programs listed above.