- Departments A - F
- Emergency Services
- Disaster / Emergency Preparedness
Disaster / Emergency Preparedness
Welcome to Ready Orange
Your "one stop shop" for preparedness information in Orange County!
- Login to WebEOC (Community Emergency Partners Link to access WebEOC System)
General Preparedness Information
- The National Weather Service - For up to date weather forecasts, storm tracks, and preparedness info
- ReadyNC.org - For much more information in North Carolina including evacuation info and more on specific hazards
- Red Cross Disaster Services - Your source for Red Cross information
When an emergency strikes your family may be without power or access to grocery stores, running water or other day-to-day necessities. The best way to prepare for that is to build a Family Emergency Kit. The Kit should have some basic items, but should match you and your family - like a fingerprint, no two kits will look exactly alike.
The Kit will be helpful whether you are staying at home or you have to leave on short notice.
If a disaster strikes your family may be split up already, or be split up as a result. The best way to assure that you can make contact is to make a plan for how you all will check-in and get back together.
There are more ways than ever to become better prepared and more connected to an emergency response than ever.
- Duke Power - 800-769-3766 (Duke Power outage maps). Duke customers may also receive text notifications for power outages in their area. Text REG to 57801 for text alerts. With outage alerts, we'll notify you by text, voice message or email when you have an outage. We'll also send status updates and estimated restoration times.
- Piedmont Electric - Main Office 800-449-2667 or Report Outage 800-222-3107 (PEMC outage map)
- Progress Energy - 800-419-6356 (Progress outage maps)
- PSNC - 877-776-2427 (Signs of a gas leak)
Downed Trees & Debris
- For downed trees and other debris in a roadway, assure that you are in a safe location and call 911
- For downed trees on private property contact the primary insurer of the property and then contact a private debris removal company
- Report flooding by calling 911
Orange County will coordinate the opening of emergency shelters with support from the Department of Social Services, Health Department, Animal Services, and the American Red Cross when the need arises. There are 2 primary Orange County Emergency Shelters:
- CW Stanford Middle School
308 Orange High School Road
Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Smith Middle School
9201 Seawell School Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
Shelters require you to be as informed and prepared as possible:
- If you need special assistance in a disaster call 919-245-2884 to register for assistance before a disaster strikes.
- Shelter locations may change depending on the emergency
- Listen to the radio for further directions concerning shelter openings:
- WCHL-AM (1360), WCHL-FM (97.9), WDCG-FM (105.1), WRAL-FM (101.5), WYMY-FM (La Ley 101.1 in Spanish)
- Shelters will have food or water, but will not have easy access to medications or many other personal needs.
- If you must have transportation, emergency transport may be provided to you by calling 919-245-6100.
- Bring Picture ID
- Regularly taken medications
- Insurance information
- Comfortable Clothing
- Personal radios - with headphones
- Games , reading material or other things to pass the time - especially for children
- Specialty items for your needs
- Do not bring weapons, illegal drugs, candles or valuables
- Smoking is not allowed inside the shelter
- Orange County Animal Services provides emergency animal sheltering at all Orange County emergency services
- Service animals for the hearing and visually impaired will be allowed in the shelter
- All other animals are welcome at the shelter and Animal Services Staff will be on hand to board pets in the best manner possible
- Owners of large animals and livestock should make preparations for their animals as very limited support will be provided in a disaster
- Pets and Animal Preparedness
CPR / First Aid Courses
Orange County Emergency Services has partnered with South Orange Rescue Squad, who provides free CPR and First Aid classes to the community. View more information regarding the types of classes.
Orange County Emergency Preparedness
Information on preparing for different types of disasters and what to expect from disaster response, available in multiple languages.
- English: https://youtu.be/9ChCg-sY81k
- English, no sound: https://youtu.be/VOB8fI8RFGI
- Spanish audio, English titles: https://youtu.be/US061prx0WM
- Chinese: https://youtu.be/ICKj-jry3kM
- Burmese: https://youtu.be/_DnrYQfosXs
- Arabic: https://youtu.be/PMHmICulxYs
- Karen: https://youtu.be/dMNXigq_ySg
- Kinyarwanda: https://youtu.be/4YvByOYCEBM