What if I have an existing house that I want to replace or add on to?

If you are not increasing the number of bedrooms and the addition does not encroach on the septic system or well, you will need to apply for an Existing System Authorization. You will need to submit the application along with a floor plan and site plan. Our office will visit the site and if there are no problems, will issue the authorization before the building permit can be issued.

If the number of bedrooms is increasing, or the septic system needs to be relocated, you will likely need to apply for an Improvement Permit and Construction Authorization. Please talk with one of our staff to make this determination.

Show All Answers

1. What is grey water?
2. Can I use grey water to water plants at my home?
3. How often do I need to pump out my septic tank?
4. When should I have my septic system inspected?
5. How long should a septic system last?
6. What do I need to do to maintain my septic system?
7. What permits are needed in order to build a house?
8. What if I have an existing house that I want to replace or add on to?
9. How long is my permit good for?
10. What is a conventional septic system?
11. What is a perc Test?
12. What size does a septic system need to be?
13. Why do septic systems fail?
14. What is a repair area?
15. What kind of trees can I plant near the septic system?
16. How can I find out where my septic system is?