Longtime Homeowners Assistance (LHA) Program
The Orange County Board of Commissioners reauthorized the Longtime Homeowners Assistance (LHA) program for the 2022 tax year. In 2021 the LHA was a pilot program created by the Board of Commissioners that provided grants to homeowners for assistance in paying property taxes. The goal of the LHA is to provide property tax bill assistance to help people stay in their homes. Read more here.
- Have owned and lived in Orange County home for at least 5 years and
- Earn at or below 80% Area Median Income (AMI), which is determined by household size:
|Household Size||Household Income|
The Orange County Housing Department administers the LHA program in collaboration with the Orange County Tax Office and Finance Departments. Homeowners can submit applications and supporting documents between August 1 through December 1, 2022 in a few different ways:
- ONLINE: Applications and materials can be submitted online
- DROPOFF: Paper Applications and drop-off boxes are available at Orange County Housing offices
- Hillsborough- Whitted Building, 300 W Tryon St
- Chapel Hill, Southern Human Services Center, 2501 Homestead Rd
- GET HELP: Contact the Housing Helpline for assistance in completing LHA applications
Once staff receive application materials, they will be back in touch about any other needed materials and/or the status of the application.
One change for 2022 is that all LHA grants will be made after the December 1, 2022 application deadline. If the demand for assistance is more than available funds, the Housing Department will use a prioritization for assistance based on applicant's age, length of time owning and living in the home, and the homeowner’s tax burden (percentage of annual income needed to pay property tax bill). The Orange County Board of Commissioners designated $250,000 for the 2022 program. The county will apply any approved LHA funding directly onto the applicant's tax bill. If the homeowner has already paid their tax bill, the County will send the overage to the applicant.